When asked why/if we should do Treaty Education…

… this is what a few of my former students (9 years old) said.

Anna: “I don’t know why any teacher would not teach their students Treaty Education especially in Canada where the treaties are a big problem because the government did not live up to its promises.  I was inspired by the treaties.  I like to think about what could have happened differently.  I find that it is not as useless as fractions.  It’s more of a life lesson, something to hold on to.”

Ellie: “Since many people don’t know about treaties, it’s important for people to respect treaties.  Everyone must know that treaties were signed.  The treaty was a promise.  And it’s important for everyone to learn about how aboriginal people were on the land first.  Teachers must teach us so we know our history so when we are older we will know more and things will be better.”

River: “It’s good to hear about the people who were here before we came.  It’s good to learn what the government did to help them out and what they did that wasn’t that good.  It sets a different perspective on how you look at the government.”

6 thoughts on “When asked why/if we should do Treaty Education…

1. I think it is a great idea to ask the children why teaching treaty education is important. The replies of the students are both eye-opening and inspiring. If students themselves understand treaty education and can explain why it is important to learn, teachers across Canada should have no hesitation to incorporate it into their classrooms.

2. It is very inspiring to see that even children this young can understand the importance of Treaty Education, if everyone had as much of an open mind as these children Treaty knowledge and understanding in Canada would take a huge leap forward!.

3. I think the knowledge and thoughts of why treaty education is important is inspiring. Such in-depth thought from such young minds is outstanding. Treaty education is indeed very important.

Mike
    mikeschienbein.wordpress.com

4. I agree with these kids, it is important to learn about treaty education because treaties are important in Canada. I agree with Anna that learning about it is more of a life lesson and it applies more than fractions. Treaty education gives us a better understanding of our history and our government,

5. I love these comments! It reassures the fact that students are beginning to develop a frame of mind that involves the idea that teaching and learning about Treaty Education is a very good, beneficial thing. Many people interpret learning and teaching about Treaty Education differently. However, no matter how peoples thoughts on the subject differ, having knowledge on Treaty Education is essential to today’s society!